Tutorial - Ledge Village School House
The Ledge Village is series of 3D buildings and accessories that can be combined in a mix and match fashion to build tiny villages on small ledges around your home. The buildings are thin, with all detail on the front so they fit on small trim ledges. A growing number of files for Ledge Village can be found at 3dcut.com
This tutorial is for the School House.
Note: Ledge Village cutting files are available here on this website and at the Silhouette online store. You can purchase them as grouped files here for a reduced priced.
- Cutting File downloaded on 3DCuts.com here
- Your preferred adhesives
- Glue Dots
- Zig Glue Pen
- Scotch Tape
- Card Stock
Steps for completing the 3-D Ledge Village School House project:
1. Download the cutting files for your cutting machine at 3dCuts.com.
2. Load the files into your cutting software following the steps for your cutting machine.
3. Prepare the files:.
- Click here for detailed steps on how to use .SVG files on your Silhouette (with Design Studio).
- Click here for steps on how to use these .SVG files in Design Space with your Cricut Explore.
- Each piece will fit on 8.5 x 11" card stock. You will need to cut and paste the pieces to different pages to cut. I cut the main house from one piece of card stock and all the others from another. The fence has been separated into a fencing file also included.
- All Parts together - 7.03676" w x 10.3946"h
4. Cut the files:
- Paper colors are your preference. I like the simplicity of the all white but others have used a variety of card stock with great results. The file is grouped together. You can ungroup it in order to cut various parts from different papers.
- The windows and smaller details (like the picket fence) require you to understand how you cutting machine and blade best cut details. I find working with a good blade and mat and my Silhouette cut settings set on Card stock with a blade of 3, a speed of 4 and a thickness of 24 works nicely.
- Some general notes: I have constructed many ledge houses over the years. My adhesive preference is always choices that keep my fingers dry and clean, but I also want permanence. We all have favorite adhesives and many work. For a long time I used glue dots extensively and many of the photos in this tutorial show glue dots. I still use them in selective places but I have combined them with Scor-Tape. I especially like Scor-Tape because I can apply it to the tabs but LEAVE THE BACKING ON until I want to position a tab. I find that I can be more precise in placement using this technique. I use fine point tweezers to peel off the backing. This allows me to reach into a seam and pull the backing off as I press in place.
- Place strips of Scor-Tape on all tabs on the main building. Leave the backing on the Scor-Tape.
- You might want to wait on those around the bell tower until you understand which sides get adhered.
5. Position the bell.
- Fold on all dotted fold lines in the bell tower as shown in the photo.
- Notice the bottom flaps fold out and all other tower parts fold in.
- The extension that is the bell folds in, back and out.
- This will make more sense as you position the bell.
- When complete, the bell is positioned abut 1/8" behind the front wall of the bell tower. It will be framed by the opening in the front of the bell tower.
- Apply strips of Scor-Tape to the two side panels of the bell extension.
- Peel the backing strip off the side piece on the connected end.
- Fold it back and adhere to the side wall as shown in photo.
- Peel off the backing on the other side strip and adhere it to the opposite wall of the bell tower as shown in the photo.
6. Fold the house.
- Fold all the dotted lines inward.
5. Assembel the building.
- Add Scor-Tape or Glue Dots to all tabs.
- It is important to make square corners. I start at the bottom and get that even and then move up to the roof line.
- First peel the Scor-tape on the short tabs on the base and adhere those to the side walls of the school.
- Adhere the tiny triangle tabs at the top of the side walls to the roof.
- Position the school back over the sides.
- Peel the Scor-Tape off the base tab fist and adhere the base to the back wall.
- Use tweezers and peel the Scor-Tape on the side wall and adhere the side wall to the back.
- Adhere the tiny triangle tabs on the side of the bell tower under the top edge of the barn roof panels.
- Adhere the wall tab on the right side wall of the bell tower to the back of the front of the bell tower.
- Adhere the tab at the peak of the tower roof together.
- Add glue dots to all the remaining tabs and glue the roof down in position.
- Add the roof covers to both the school and the tower.
- Each folds in half and gets adhered with the overhang to the front.
Done! What building is next?
And how will you display them?