Heart Cube Shadow Box • Tutorial
Create an easy Heart Cube Shadow Box that can be folded flat and mailed as a valentine. The assembled cube is 2 3/4" cubed and fits into a standard 6.5 personal envelope.
Construction techniques are basic beginner 3d techniques. There is a video of the assembly below. Scroll to step 5 to start watching.
Link to file here.
Heart Cube - Tutorial
- Cutting File here.
- 8.5 x 11" card stock - I used the 110lb Neenah Cardstock from Amazon for the white
- 1/4" Scor-Tape adhesive
Parts sizes: - in inches - Sizes are when in orientation shown to right.
All pieces when grouped as shown will fit on 1 - 8.5 x 11" piece of red card stock and 1 - 8.5 x 11" sheet of white card stock.
- Upper Red L 6.2944" w x 5.8653" h
- Lower Red L - 5.8681" w x 6.2403" h
- Each White Heart - 3.5778" w x 2.6625" h
Order supplies from Amazon:
Steps for completing the Heart Cube Shadow Box:
Special Note: I update the instructions online. Check here for adjustments and additional information. Don't just rely on the pdf file that comes with the download. This file is located at http://3dcuts.com/cube-heart-tutorial
1. Download the cutting files for your cutting machine from the 3dcuts.com store here.
2. Load the files into your cutting software following the steps for your cutting machine.
3. Prepare the files:.
- For the Silhouette: The SVG files from this site will need to be turned into cutting files. Click here for detailed steps on how to use SVG files on your Silhouette. http://www.3dcuts.com/tutorial-upload-svg-silhouette
- For Cricut Explore: Here is a guide for importing into Cricut Design Space. http://www.3dcuts.com/tutorial-adding-3dcuts-files-to-cricut
4. Cut the files.
5. Remove the cutting mat carefully. I find the paper curls less if I peel the mat away from the paper and not the other way around.
- Below is a video demonstrating the assembly steps. If viewing these directions online you can watch the video or continue with the written directions below. If using the pdf that comes with the download you can go to http://3dcuts.com/heart-cube-tutorial to view the video.
6. Start with the cube.
- Postion the two red parts to match the photo.
- Fold toward you on all the dotted fold lines on both pieces.
- Apply 1/4" Scor-Tape along the dotted fold line on each of the end tabs. These both have a single curve in them. The Scor-Tape goes on the outside of the tab.
- Cut out the Scor-Tape that overhangs into the curved area of both tabs.
- Peel the backing off the Score-Tape on the left piece, place it over the right aligning the dotted fold line with the edge and the curve with the heart edge. Make sure it is square and press in place.
7. Prepare the 5 white inserts.
- Fold and crease both tabs on each of the 5 white inserts in the same direction.
- Add a strip of Scar-Tape along the fold edge and each of the tabs on all 5 pieces.
8. Add the inserts to the cube.
- Peel the backing off the Sock-Tape on the left edge of the insert with the largest heart hole.
- Align the edge with the fold line on the rad cube base to the right of the heart. Also align between the top and bottom side tabs.
- Make sure it is square and press in place.
- Fold it over to the left.
- Select the 2nd insert (the one with the next smallest heart hole), peel the Scor-Tape from its left side. position right up next to the first insert, make sure it is between the tabs above and below, and that it is square. Press in place.
- Fold over to the left.
- Repeat these steps with the last 3 white inserts being sure to proceed in size gradation from larger to smallest with heart opening.
- Flip the 5 inserts back to the right with their tabs facing up.
- Peel The backing tape from all 5 tabs.
- Fold the right side of the cube over the 5 tabs and working from the right to the left press in place on the 5 tabs.
- Fold the left portion - the front of the cube over to meet the other side. Peel the scar-tape on the tab and press in place being sure to keep everything aligned and square.
- Open up the cube and watch as the inserts align in place. You will notice that the cube will continue to fold flat in one direction only. Do not try to force it to fold flat in both directions.
- Fold in the two side tabs and close the bottom lid. Do not glue this in place if you want to flatten the cube to mail or for storage.
- Fold in the two side tabs and close the top lid. Do not glue this in place if you want to flatten the cube to mail or for storage.
- Nice job!
- You can unfold the top and bottom lids, add a valentine message inside the cover........
- Fold the top lid to the back and the bottom lid to the front, slide it in a standard personal sized envelop and mail too someone special.
- Do you feel the recipient will need instructions for assembly? In the download folder you will find a printable pdf file with assembly instructions. Print these on any printer and include in the envelop.
Happy Valentine's Day!
© 2018 • 3DCuts.com • Marji Roy